Friday, October 5, 2007

I Do

Growing up in a Catholic family, marriage was always defined, as something two people uniting in front of God. Marriage to me was always sacred, so I have always believed that I can only marry one person in my lifetime. While watching television, I have always seen shows where two people would go and marry each other with out thinking twice. I have always thought that this was the most random way of keeping a relationship with someone. I never felt that the people on television getting married feel the same way for each other. I felt that they just make a mockery of marriage.

As I entered my late teen years, my view on marriage changed. I started to believe in carpe dium. Marriage was a spontaneous activity that two people in love would do. I still believe that marriage is a sacred union, even in my late teen years. I wanted to find the right girl and marry her, but my definition on the right girl was loose.

I am now a Political Science major attending San Jose State University. In the past 4 weeks, I have interned in the family law courts in Santa Clara County. In the courts, my view changed again about marriage. People who married the wrong people would come in and try to get out of their marriage. I witnessed many cases where people’s love for each other was liquidated into a cash settlement. Piles of paper work would end up at our desk on divorces and child custody. Working in family law made me realized that marriage is sacred, and finding Mrs. Right will take time.

No comments: