Friday, September 28, 2007

An Old House By Santana Row

I lived in San Jose for the past 17 years. Yet, it was not till Wednesday that I visited the Winchester Mystery House. Growing up with my group of friends, I have heard many ghost stories. My friends and I always wanted to explore many places that people have claimed were haunted. Whether it is on San Felipe Road in the Evergreen Valley, where they said a ghost of an old woman on a bike will greet you and your lover in the car. Or Marsh Road in Milpitas, where there have been rumors of a girl at the end of the road that will chase you down if you do not leave right away. We have been going down old roads, sneaking into abandoned property and trying to take all the pictures as possible to try and see if we can get a safe paranormal experience. With all of that behind us, I have decided to just go and pay $23.95 to take a tour of the Winchester Mystery House.

I have heard the story about Sarah Winchester and her husband’s rifle company. The legend goes that she built the Winchester Mansion to appease the spirits that were killed by the Winchester rifle.

It was still daylight outside when I toured the mansion, yet I still had an eerie feeling something was there besides my tour group. We went down twisted staircases and saw doors that led to nowhere. We visited the room where Sarah Winchester died and took a peek at her séance room. In the end of the tour, that eerie feeling went away when our tour guide conveniently lead us into the gift shop. I was satisfied that I was able to visit a part of San Jose’s history, and got to visit a haunted house with out climbing over a fence or crawl through holes on the side of the walls.

No comments: