Friday, November 2, 2007

Ohhh Halloween

What has happen to Halloween? It seems that no one celebrates it anymore in my neighborhood. When I was a kid growing up in my neighborhood, almost every neighbor had some kind of Halloween decoration up, or at least a carved pumpkin. Yet, the past six Halloweens the decorations started to go down and the trick-or-treaters have been disappearing. Halloween just became another day.

My neighborhood has lots of kids; most of them are in their elementary years. I feel sad for them whenever they go out and go trick-or-treating. A lot of the neighbors do not bother and go buy candy anymore. Last year, I took my niece and nephew out for trick-or-treating. Only a few houses had candy for my niece and nephew. I live in a gated community, and some houses have their own gates for their driveway. Some of the privately gated houses close and lock their gates, so no one would bother and knock on their door for Halloween. I always believed in respecting people’s privacy, but to not bother and leave a bowl of candy out for Halloween is just rude. I wish people would just get into the spirit of Halloween and celebrate it for the kids.

The new thing to do for Halloween is to go trick-or-treating in the mall. That is the most ludicrous idea ever. A reason why it is so ludicrous to trick-or-treat in the mall is that it does not bring a neighborhood together. Also, the mall stores give only a few amounts of candy to the kids and they close at 9:30 P.M. People say that trick-or-treating in the mall is safer because the candy is from a store, not a person. Yet, I believe that parents should always check the candy of their kids when they trick-or-treating anywhere. Trick-or-treating and Halloween should stay in the neighborhood, since this brings a community together to help make childhood a little more fun

No comments: