Friday, November 16, 2007

Pyramid Scheme

Last week, I joined a company that will remain nameless in this blog. This company started setting distribution offices, about two years ago, in Northern California. Yet, the company has been around since 1992. The company sells high quality products that cost a lot of money. Yet, in order to make the most money in the company, people have to bring people in to help sell the product. This company feels like a pyramid scheme, since they practice multi-level marketing. The company also awards its higher-up employees with massages and platinum medals at their conventions. I usually do not like working for companies that deals with any type of multi-level-marketing, yet, I did.

Before I joined the company, my friend called me up to go with her to their meeting. I am usually a nice guy, so even though I did not want to join, I decided to humor her. Before I went, I invited one of my other friends to come along with me since I did not want to be alone when my other friend, the one who invited me, would be speaking and not sitting with me. I explained to her that they would probably try and recruit us, yet, I told her that if they do, we should just tell them to fuck off!

When my friend, the one who would sit with me, and I came, we were bombarded with many happy people who welcomed us. Yet my friend seemed to get all the attention. After we sat for the two-hour meeting, people came and tried to recruit us. I stayed with my position of telling them to fuck off, yet they kept on trying. I saw my friend saying no as much as I was but it was too late. I saw her recruiter welcoming her to the family. I took her to the side and asked her what happened? She replied that she felt weak and just fell into peer pressure. I felt bad that I brought her into it, so I joined also. Now I am constantly being bombarded with phone calls from company representatives. My friend is more into it than I am; yet she is also as annoyed with the phone calls as I am. I want to quit, but I promised my friend I help her all the way.

No comments: