Friday, December 7, 2007

Rude Ass People

I could not believe how people could be so rude towards each other. Today, I was working at the Santa Clara courthouse on 99 Notre Dame Avenue. I was helping out Gurneet, and my other friend on filling out the paper work for a child custody case. We were mining our own business when one of our staff attorneys came in with a client. The client seemed nice at first, but she was a real bitch. I usually do not listen in when the lawyers are helping out the clients, but this client was different. The client came in carrying all her paper work. The staff attorney asked her general questions about her case; which was a child support case. The client told the staff attorney what she needed to know. Then, the staff attorney looked over her paper work and found out that she was filing in the wrong county. The client got upset and started to raise her voice. The client then explained to the staff attorney that she had a legal right to start a case in any county as long as she was able to file the proper paper work. The staff attorney listened to her complaints, but explained to her that she is not allowed to handle paper work that is not officially from the Santa Clara county superior court jurisdiction. The client would not have it and she started to bitch about how far she had to drive to our courthouse. The staff attorney was calm, and tried to explain to the client, again, that the paper work that the client filled out was in the wrong county. The client then raised her voice and told the staff attorney to stop talking loudly. I wanted to bitch slap the client because the staff attorney was trying so hard to help her, yet the client thinks she knows the law better than the staff attorney.

Professor Danopoulos, explained to my NGO/IGO class that people in desperate situations will be frustrated and act in an ill-mannered fashion. When the client was unwilling to listen, I wanted to yell at her, but I thought about what Professor Danopoulos said to my class. I could see that the woman was desperate in trying to get her case settled. I wanted her to get he paper work over with so she would go on with her life. I could see that she just needed help, yet she was angry of what happened in her life so far. The documents she brought in were her divorce judgment papers, her child custody papers, and other miscellaneous papers that affected her life. I felt bad for the client, but I did not believe that she should have acted the way she did with people that were only trying to help her. I had other client who came in with drug problems and their lives were falling apart on the spot. Yet, they treated us with kindness and knew that we were there for them.

No comments: